Transferring between schools

If you want to transfer school or are applying other than starting primary or secondary school for the first time you need to apply directly with the school.

If you are applying to start primary or secondary school for the first time, visit School Admissions.

School vacancy lists
The Primary and Secondary schools with vacancies lists will assist you in securing a school place. These lists are updated on a weekly basis and are collated from information schools provide to the Leeds admissions team.

You will need to contact the school(s) directly to confirm the vacancies remain.

Requesting to transfer schools

Before you request a transfer, if there are any problems with the school your child is currently attending you should talk these through with the school. Transferring can be very disruptive to a pupil.​

If you are not happy with the way the school is dealing with the problem you should speak to the Headteacher or the Chair of Governors.

If you wish to transfer, you will need to complete an In-year common transfer form  The school you want to transfer to can also supply you with a form. Please return the completed form to the school either in person or by post. During school holidays you can email the form to [email protected] or post it to:

The Admissions Team
Leeds City Council
P.O. Box 837

If you are wanting apply to more than one school you only need to approach one school with your completed In Year Common Preference Form (but you can approach more than one school if you wish).

If the school is unable to offer you a place, your child will automatically be added to the waiting list. The admissions team will contact you in writing to confirm you child has been placed on the school waiting list. You can find out about schools with vacancies by clicking on the schools with vacancies lists towards the top of this page.

You will have the right of appeal to an independent panel for the school you have been refused. If you want more information about the appeals process please visit the School appeals page.

If you are moving within Leeds you will need to provide proof that you have moved. A photocopy of the proof should be attached in an email to [email protected]

Acceptable proofs of address are photocopies of:

any exit utility bill for the previous property, e.g. gas, electricity, water, landline telephone
and one of the following:

council tax bill for the new property in the parent’s name
tenancy agreement for the rented property
document stating a house sale has completed (exchange of contracts is not sufficient)
You must apply for a school place using the address where your child lives for the majority of the time.

The BLP is its own admissions authority and each school has its own individual admissions policies. You can find these on the individual schools websites or by reviewing the appropriate tabs on the left.